Community Engagement - Where To Start
Community engagement—where are you as a church, both individuals and organization, intersecting with your community? What conversations are you having with the community? How can you be a part of the larger community?
Advantage of being involved in the community is that it means having a different mindset about ministry. It helps you think about where you can be the best church for your community.
Find a comfortable connection point with your community. Use the areas of passion in your congregation to serve your community. Watch your efforts grow, and watch the people involved form new relationships with people in the community.
- As a congregation, what gifts and passions would lead us to intersect with our community?
- Is there a small group of people in our congregation who could start something like this?
- Check with community groups for grants that might be available.
- Partner with other organizations in your community (for example, local school district, food pantry).
- The Externally Focused Church by Rick Rusaw and Eric Swanson
- The Externally Focused Quest: Becoming the Best Church for the Community by Rick Rusaw and Eric Swanson
- Five Two (fivetwo.com)