Using Social Media in Your Ministry
Ryan Frank talks about the importance of churches using social media as part of their ministry.
Churches need to be using social media because it’s where people “live.”
- Make a good first impression.
- Help people get to know the church and the pastor.
- Publish content; share sermons.
- It’s cost effective.
Platform: the technology or tool (Facebook, website, email) that gives you a place to communicate
Popular social platforms
To start . . .
- Where are we as a ministry?
- Where do we want to be?
- What do we have to do to get there?
For conversation: Facebook group
For information: Facebook page
Pastor share thoughts: Twitter
Behind the scenes: Instagram, Snapchat
How to start:
- Don’t overthink it; just start
- Ask kids for help
- Create a summer internship for someone to get it off the ground for you
- Monitor it; measure it to see if it’s accomplishing your goal
- Make adjustments
Helping the person in charge:
- Spend time, very hands-on in the beginning to be clear the person understands (set expectations)
- Back off a little
- Check in less frequently as you realize the person is doing well
Consider recruiting a team to divide the duties, or put a small amount of money aside for someone to work on this.
Add value for people.
- How is my church using social media?
- How shouldmy church be using social media?
- What’s our next step?
- Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy Worldby Michael Hyatt
- Find another church that is using social media well and learn from that church.