Healthy Staff, Powerful Team
Introduction:Creating and maintaining a healthy staff is an important part of creating a healthy church.
The first step in creating a healthy staff is to consider: How is each staff member doing in his or her own walk with God? The goal is that each staff member would be enthusiastically living out a personal faith and then leading the church based on those faith experiences.
Keys to a healthy staff and powerful team:
- Use clear, respectful communication
- Build trust
- Operate honestly
- Celebrate with each other
- Commit to transparency in the group, sharing each other’s struggles
- Hold productive staff meetings, the second most important thing that happens at the church during the week
How to create this kind of a team:
- Get to know one another personally by sharing life stories.
- Build relationships by having fun together.
- Set clear performance expectations.
- Focus on your unified mission.
- Share a commitment to honest conversations.
What to do when things go awry:
- Push the “pause button.”
- Give adequate time to understand what’s going on.
- Get help from an outside facilitator.
A team assessment may be helpful. It can show team members how to best interact with each other.
- Is your team healthy and powerful today? Why or why not?
- What is your team’s greatest strength? What is your team’s greatest weakness?
- Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministryby Paul David Tripp
- Style Matterssurvey
- DiSC® profile
- Style of Influence®survey